Thursday, January 17, 2013

Go big or go home...wait, I'm already AT home...

I'm on day 3 of writing consistently and I have just shy of 3500 words, which is crazy to me. It's a far cry from the 80,000 (which is my goal) and it's a daunting task to get there but I'm feeling good about it.

Some random thoughts:

I still suck at storyboarding - right now I'm just writing. I foresee having to completely rewrite/rearrange entire chapters or sections once I'm finished.

I have to pay more attention to world building. So far I'm not too deep in that I will make mistakes and I think I have things locked down in my head but clearly I will need to have a reference for later, especially if my plans follow through and I DO make this a trilogy.

I didn't drink nearly enough coffee today.

I have a stack of magazines, a few e-magazines, and at least one e-book to read and I'm not sure if I would rather write or not. I've definitely reached my self-set quota for the day so I could just curl up with some reading and chill.

My goal for the end of the weekend (and it's a long weekend because of MLK holiday) is 10,000 words total - yes it's a STEEP goal but I think I have to go big or go home....and since I'm already AT home, I guess I'm left with no choice but to go big.

There a few authors whose pacing I LOVE....so as part of my research this weekend I am going to look at where they were in the pacing of their books when they were approximately 1/8 of the way done.

I'm afraid of dragging scenes out - I am sure there are things I can (and, if I'm honest, that I should) cut. Based on that, I guess I should set my initial goal at 85,000 but I'll be content with even a 75k - 80k word book.

Well kids, I'm tired. My husband is yelling at the Xbox. The kids are in bed and alseep - finally. The pug is snoring. All in all - a night pretty conducive to just vegging out with some mindless reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment